The Sutro Stewards is a San Francisco non-profit organization dedicated to creating urban recreational opportunities while practicing sustainable habitat conservation through stewardship. We conserve and restore wildlife habitat, connect people of all ages to our natural world, educate and engage urban residents in the protection of our shared, local environment.
Our program offers the opportunity to constructively contribute to the planning and execution of habitat conservation and restoration in San Francisco through our propagation nursery, demonstration garden, and restoration sites. The intern will be guided by staff and work both on teams and independently.
This internship provides the following opportunities:
- Learn to identify, propagate, and collect seed from local native plants.
- Gain experience with propagation techniques, including seed germination treatments, cuttings, and divisions.
- Hands-on operation and nursery management
- Field work ranging from restoration site stewardship to seed collection.
- Receive training and learn how to lead and work with volunteers
- Establish a schedule that works for you
- Plant what you grow in one of our many restoration and demonstration sites
Commitment: We are looking for an individual to complete a minimum of one semester/quarter, or 4 months of work. The intern will be expected to contribute five hours per week.
Compensation: Sutro Stewards will offer recommendations and/or school credit, if pre-arranged through your faculty advisor, at completion.
In addition to our internships we are also seeking support with our Social Media outreach and our Service Learning program development. If you have a few extra hours a week and would like to support our environmental stewardship program from home please let us know.
To apply, contact Craig Dawson atCraig@SutroStewards.orgif you are interested in the internship. Please include a cover letter and list of completed courses related to this field. Your cover letter should include your professional and/or personal experience and why you're interested in this internship.